Moulsecoomb Place and the Manor House
The university purchased Moulsecoomb Place in 1993 as part of a strategy to improve the accommodation provision for staff and students. The site was considered to be ideally located, being immediately adjacent to the university's Moulsecoomb site.
The completion of the purchase from Brighton Borough Council was subject to the granting of planning permission for the construction of 163 student residences on the former nursery garden, conversion of the Tithe Barns to a childrens' nursery and refurbishment of the Manor House to provide office accommodation for Student Services.
History of the buildings
The site comprises a Grade II listed Manor House (above), two Tithe Barns, a former nursery garden and gardens totalling 4.5 acres. The cottage (pictured right) was built in the late 14th century and is the oldest secular building in Brighton. It is reputed to be haunted.
In the late 18th century Benjamin Tillstone came into possession of Moulsecoomb Place and proceeded to improve the Manor House and its environs in splendid style. The property was visited by the Prince Regent whilst he was staying at the Royal Pavilion. In fact, the massive mahogany doors in the house were gifted to Mr. Tillstone by the Prince and are thought to originate from Marlborough House, demolished to make way for the building of the Royal Pavilion itself.
Oven in the cottage at Moulsecoomb Place
The Tithe Barns are Tudor and 'The Tithes of Moulsecoomb' were included in the grant by Henry VIII to the Lady Anne of Cleves in 1541.
The acquisition and refurbishment of the Manor House and Tithe Barns gave the university an opportunity to not only improve its estate, but also to give something back to the local community by way of preserving an impressive listed building.
As part of ongoing study, EFM's Stuart Dickson completed a history of Moulsecoomb Place. Please contact him for further information: x 3153
The cottage forming part of Moulsecoomb Place